The NS Arms ST/PT MataHelang (an acronym for Senapang Tempur/Penembak Tepat MataHelang [Malay for Battle/Designated Marksman Rifle EagleEye) is a weapons platform created by Mr. Ahmad Syahir. Originally designed for the Malaysian Armed Forces, it was rejected by the MAF due to budgetary constraints. The design later was re-routed in response to find a suitable replacement for the SG 550 rifle in use by the Swiss Armed Forces.
Initially, Mr. Ahmad Syahir designed the rifle loosely based on the Urban Assault Rifle (UAR) airsoft gun. Seeing the potential for it to be a full-fledged military-grade weapon, Mr. Syahir set out and designed a gun that is cosmetically similar to the UAR, but with full military functionality. Preliminary design was completed in February 2015. Months of tweaking and fine-tuning finally led to the first prototype being produced in May 2015, months before the tender for the SG 550 replacement was issued by the Swiss Government.
General Information Edit
The ST/PT MataHelang is a bullpup weapon. It utilises the gas-operation commonly found on firearms today. It is primarily chambered for the 7.62x51mm NATO and the 7.62x54mmR ammunitions, both being the most commonly used rifle rounds in the world today. It is fed from a 20-round detachable box magazine, closely resembling those used on the SCAR Mk. 17 (SCAR-H) battle rifle. It is produced in two versions; the full-sized DMR and the compact CQB version. Both versions are fired in semi-auto and full-auto that enables the marksman to handle any combat situation.
Weapon Specification Edit
CQB: 4.05 kg (8.93 lbs)
CQB: 30 in. (76.2 cm)
CQB: 18 in. (45.72 cm)
- Weight: DMR: 4.25 kg (9.37 lbs)
- Length: DMR: 40 in. (101.6 cm)
- Barrel length: DMR: 28 in. (71.12 cm)
- Cartridge: 7.62x51mm NATO, 7.62x54mmR
- Operation: Short stroke gas-piston, rotating bolt
- Rate of fire: 700 rounds/min
- Fire mode: Safe, semi, full-auto
- Muzzle velocity: 820 m/s (2690 ft/s)
- Effective range: 820 m (896.7 yds)
- Feed system: 20-round detachable box magazine (patterned after the SCAR Mk. 17 [SCAR-H])
- Sights: Foldable iron sights, various telescopic sights (Trijicon ACOG 6x48 as standard)
- Attachments: Bipods, foregrip, laser aiming modules