The SMG-01 is a submachine gun/personal defence weapon produced by NS Arms Corporation.
After successfully releasing assault rifle platforms and pistols, Dr. Nowak and Mr. Syahir felt that it was time to begin a whole new project on a whole new weapons platform, namely submachine guns. SMG-01's preliminary design was drafted in early July 2015. Further refinement and advise from all parties involved (armourers, engineers, et al) resulted in the finalised design in mid-September 2015.
SMG-01's design was drawn up from the onset to be fed from a magazine fed through the pistol grip. It utilises the ubiquitous blowback operation, common in many SMG platforms today. It is made primarily of polymer and hard, impact-resistant plastic. It is produced in two variants; the full-size SMG with a retractable stock, and a compact version for use by pilots, vehicle drivers, VIP guards, and so on.
Weapon Specification Edit
- Weight: 1.3 kg (3.3 lb) [SMG]
1 kg (2.2 lb) [Compact]
- Length: 508 mm (20 in.) [SMG]
368.3 mm (14.5 in.) [Compact]
- Barrel length: 266.7 mm (10.5 in.) [SMG]
114.3 mm (4.5 in.) [Compact]
- Cartridge: 9x19mm Parabellum/+P/7N21 & 7N31, 6.5x25mm CBJ; conversion kits for 5.45x18mm 7N7, 9x18mm Makarov, .45 ACP, FN 5.7x28mm (planned), HK 4.6x30mm (planned), 5.8x21mm DAP92 (planned)
- Operation: Blowback, closed bolt
- Muzzle velocity: Calibre-dependent; nominal around 300 - 700 m/s (984 - 2296 ft/s)
- Effective range: 210 m (689 ft) [SMG]
180 m (590 ft) [Compact]
- Rate of fire: 830 rounds/min
- Feed system: 30, 40, 50-round detachable box magazine
- Sights: Fixed front blade sight and rear aperture sight
- Attachments: Reflex sights, foregrip, laser pointer, flashlight
- User(s): Japan (Kaizen Elite Security Team)